Easy Turned Candlesticks

If you're a beginner turner, these candle sticks are a great starter project.


Thanks to Clink Harp for the idea!  They're all random designs and the turning is 'go with the flow' - a bead here - a cove here - you get the idea.

I used blocks that were 2 3/4" square that gave me tops that fit a 2" candle just right.  The heights I used were 9", 10 1/2" and 13 1/2" but go with whatever size you want.

 I turned between centers with a 3/8" spindle gouge and a rounded nose scraper.

Before painting I rubbed a dark stain on, particularly on the protruding edges that would get sanded for a worn look.

 I painted several coats of chalk paint and used a steel wool pad to smooth out.  Lastly I used 220 sand paper to rough up the edges to show the contrasting dark wood underneath.

 I finished the sticks off with some paste wax which really gave them a smooth finish and a buffed look.


Happy turning!

Labels: , ,