Trash to Treasure - Decorative Lamps

I can't say it enough.  There's nothing more rewarding than turning something from "trash to treasure".  I love giving items a new lease on life.

I really don't like how easily we dispose of things these days (partly because so many things are made cheap - but also because we're too busy or care-free to try and fix something).

With hardly any effort anybody can transform something like these lamps from old and ugly to 'new' and beautiful!



I had driven behind one of my favorite thrift stores to pickup some furniture when I saw these lamps sitting on a pile or rummage.  They definitely caught my eye!... large, metal, marble (and also very pitiful looking)!

I saw a worker and asked if they were being thrown away.  When she said "yes" I asked her if I could take them home.

There were only a few problems with them.  The metal was rusty and dingy looking...

...the layer inside the glass was peeling...

 ....the metal on the bases were cracked and broken and the wires were old and ugly.

Everything disassembled and ready for some TLC!

I washed all the metal and marble pieces with steel wool.

After wiping the metal pieces with oil they really brightened up (the picture shows you the difference with one spot oiled).

I washed and scrubbed the glass.

I bought new harps (for lamp shade), sockets and wire plugs.  I cut out some really thick cardboard circles on my Cricut cutting machine and bought large washers to fix the bases.

 The cardboard circles helped cover the large-broken areas and the washers helped add strength for tightening the washer.  I added felt pads to protect whatever they sat on.

New socket base added.

Everything tightened together and wiring ready to go in center rod.


Underwriter's knot (prevents wires from pulling out) and wires screwed to new socket.

Socket cover added - pushed into base.

DONE!




These lamps weren't my style but they sure were interesting!  They stood nearly 3-feet tall and grabbed your attention from across the room.  I was happy to find them a new home!

Labels: , , ,