Comparing Home Sewing Machine Vs. Industrial Sewing Machine

I thought I'd compare my industrial machine to a typical home sewing machine so you can see the difference between them (although you really have to sit in front of one to really "get it").

So here you go... my Pfaff 1472 next to my industrial Durkopp Adler.  This picture just doesn't do the size difference justice!

The motors... this alone says enough!  There's a typical Kenmore motor next to an industrial clutch motor.

Here we have the belts.  These belts drive the machine by turning the hand wheel from the motor pulley.  Pictured is a belt from a Singer 66-16 and the industrial belt.

 Here is a regular 70/10 sewing needle next to a typical industrial needle.

This picture demonstrates the clearance under the presser foot of my Pfaff 1472 (left) next to my Adler (right).  The Adler has 2 quarters extra clearance (almost 3)! ...and that's a big deal!


Bobbins... WOAH!  Singer 201-2 next to the Adler.

Thread.  Yeah... that's a big difference!

About a year ago I had NO clue about industrial sewing machines.  Whenever I came across one for sale I didn't think twice about it - it wasn't for me.  However, upon further thinking and investigation (reading forums and watching YouTube videos) I discovered that I NEEDED one... and quick!  I was pretty much obsessed about finding the perfect one to help me with sewing my heavier/thicker projects and I also craved the professional/durable touch it would give.

Hopefully this helps you see the difference - you really need the right machine for the job.  If you are using a regular home machine for thicker projects you might want to consider buying a used, industrial machine to make your life easier (and save the motor on your small machine).

Labels: