Singer 201-2 Bobbin Winder Assembly

Why this post?  I recently took apart a Singer 201-2 bobbin winder assembly to remove the rust and replace a spring.  When I was ready to put it back together I realized I had no clue how and I couldn't find anything online to help.  I had another 201-2 sitting around and was able to look at it and figure out how to assemble everything.

By the way, I have no clue what all the names of the pieces are so I'll do my best to describe them.

Taking off the handwheel is the first part, and it's easy.  Everything just unscrews and then you can pop off the handwheel by pulling it straight off the machine.  The only thing to note is that the black washer seen in the above photo needs to be put back the same way.  Before it falls off, with a black sharpie put a dot on one of the black tabs and then a dot to each side of that (on the silver part)... this way you can replace it how it was originally.

Here are the handwheel parts removed.

Here is what the bobbin winder pieces looked like when I took them off.  They're nasty and rusty.  You won't believe what I used to clean the rust off with... tinfoil and lime juice!  I crinkled up a piece of tinfoil, put a few drops of lime on it and rubbed it over the rusted areas until it was gone.  It was fast and easy!  I got the idea of tinfoil a year ago when I Googled how to remove rust from bike parts, then I just did another search on home remedies for rust and lime was mentioned.. I put them together and BAM!

Here's what the pieces looked like after.  The piece I replaced was the spring with the long arm and I added a new bobbin tire.

 Okay, here's what your machine looks like.

 The small spring with 2 little fingers goes in the groove here.  Make sure one of the fingers is in the hole inside the groove.

Next, put this silver piece over the spring, matching up the small finger on the spring with the hole in the silver piece.

Align the screw holes together and put the screw(with the lip under the head) in and tighten.

Take the spring with the long arm and put the small finger inside the hole of this part.

Hold the spring down and in place while you turn the long arm so it rests in the open window.

Sandwich your spring inside with this metal piece.  Make sure your pieces look like the above photo.  You should have 2 screws left, one large and one small.  Screw the small one into the screw hole you see in the above photo to hold the flat metal piece down keeping the spring from popping out.

Now put the bobbin tire piece onto your machine like this.

Study the above 2 pictures closely and make sure yours looks the same.

Screw the last screw in.

It should look like this.  Before you put the handwheel back on make sure the mechanics of the bobbin winder assembly seem to function properly.

Replace the handwheel and put the black washer in with the marked black dots matched up.

Tighten the large silver piece and stop motion screw.

Your last test will be to see if the tension the bobbin winder tire has on the handwheel is too much or not enough.  Push the tire against the handwheel as if to wind a bobbin.  Was it hard to engage or does it seem too loose against the handwheel?  If you need to make adjustments, loosen the screw in the above photo and make minor adjustments until you feel it is right.  Test it out with an actual bobbin, too.

Labels: , , ,