Make your own Large Decorative Clock

Tutorial for making your own clock
Enjoy crafting at home!

This is a large decorative wall clock.  It takes about 2 hours to assemble and only cost me about $20 to make.

What you need: large square (or circle) board, clock movement and hands, 12 wooden furniture buttons, wood glue or hot glue, black cardstock paper, 2 d-rings with screws and metal wire (picture hanging kit), sand paper and spray paint (optional).

Tools: jigsaw, drill and drill bits, and screwdriver.
 The most expensive (and probably the hardest to find) item for the clock will be the clock movement and hands.  I got mine off Etsy for just under $15.  It's a high-torque clock movement with 9 5/16-inch long hands.  *You want to make sure that whatever size hands you get that they will fit on the size board you're going to use.  Double the size of your hands and add about 4-inches to figure out what size board you will need. 

My math: the hands I got were about 9 1/4-inches x 2 = 18 1/2-inches + 4-inches = 22 1/2-inches.  I went to Ikea and looked in their AS-IS department and found a cupboard face that measured 24 x 24 inches.  If you can't find anything a lumber store is always a good option.  Lowe's and Home Depot will cut a board to the size you need.
Find the center of your board and mark it.  From your center is how you'll mark each point for your wooden buttons "numbers".  I put my buttons 9 1/4-inches away from my center - the same length as my hands.  TIP: I folded a large piece of paper in-half and then folded it in thirds again and held it up against the center-line of my clock to help assist me in marking where to put my buttons.

With a drill bit the same diameter as the base of your buttons, drill into your marks about 1/8-inch (this will make it so you can push the bottom of your buttons into the wood later).

 Drill a large hole into the center of your clock.  Put the threaded shaft of the movement through the center hole and trace around the black box and add a little extra to give yourself a margin to make sure the box will fit once you've cut out the square hole.  Drill a hole in each corner and then use your jig-saw to cut each side of the box.

On the back of your clock drill holes for your 2 d-rings.  I put mine 4-inches down from the top and 4-inches away from the sides.  Attach one end of the wire to one d-ring by twisting the end around itself, stretch the wire to the other side and cut the wire wire 3-inches past the second d-ring and twist the end around itself to hold.
Glue each of your buttons into your 12 shallow holes.

 I spray painted my clock so the buttons would match and then sanded the edges of my board and the buttons to give it a worn look.

With your cardstock, cut a circle large enough to cover the hole in the center of your clock.  I used a glass cup to trace my circle.  Punch a hole in the center.  You could also use something around your house that is the right size.  I just happened to have a flat black circle lying around that I used.

Lastly, you'll put your clock movement and hands on.  Put the black box in the opening.  Make sure the top of your black box matches up with the top of your clock (the top should be where you have your d-rings).

Place your black circle on top, the black rubber circle that came with your clock parts, and then the washer and bolt.

Slide your hour hand on first and then put the minute hand on and secure it with the small end-bolt that came with your parts.

Find a stud in your wall to put a 2-inch screw in to hang your clock.
ENJOY!

Labels: , , , ,